Today, one of the trendiest hobbies many people engage in is making some do-it-yourself home projects. From ornaments for the garden up to wall decorations, numerous do-it-yourself enthusiasts enjoy manually crafting materials into works of art.
What’s more amazing about these do-it-yourself projects is that they don’t cost too much since the majority of materials come from used and old stuff that they intend to repurpose into something else.
Aside from being inexpensive, getting into do-it-yourself projects could mean saving the world (from garbage, that is). According to Canadian Geographic, around 720 kilos per capita of rubbish is produced by Canada alone every year. Thanks to repurposing old items, we can help decrease the volume of trash left in the landfill.
There are various things you can repurpose – and one of the hottest do-it-yourself projects is turning old denim into a carpet.
Old jeans would be the perfect material to be used as a carpet because it is comfortable, durable, and sturdy. Aside from this, did you know that denim possesses high insulation properties? Therefore, it can provide warmth for your home. Denim can also give you good indoor air quality. To top it all off, this material is good for the environment.
Let’s cut to the chase, shall we? Here’s how you can make your very own carpet from old jeans:
Old blue jeans (washed and dried)
A pair of scissors
Sewing machine or needle and heavy thread (if you want to sew the jeans manually)
- First, you must cut the ‘leg’ portions of the jeans.
- Using the seam ripper, remove the seams attaching the front part of the jeans from the back part.
- Lay out the fabric and using the ruler, draw straight lines on the edges of the jeans.
- With the rotary cutter, cut the edges of the jeans to make straight strips.
- When you have collected numerous strips, lay them flatly on the floor, placing them side by side. You can secure them in place temporarily (as you are assembling them) by using sewing pins.
- Sew them together by hand or with the use of sewing machine.
For added protection, add carpet backing to prevent it from slipping and sliding. Now that you know how to make that cool carpet, don’t forget to keep it clean. For the top rated carpet cleaning Airdrie uses Steele Carpet Cleaning.